Multipurpose Solutions are great for cleaning,
disinfecting, and storing soft contact lenses
Those who wear contact lenses know that there are a wide variety of contact cleaning and storage solutions on the market. Which one is the BEST for YOU? A lot depends on the type of contacts that are worn..
Multipurpose Solution: A daily multipurpose solution is an all-in-one product designed for cleaning, rinsing, disinfecting, and storing contact lenses. This is the "go-to" solution for most soft contact lens wearers due to its ease of use and versatility.
1. Though many solutions market themselves as "no-rub", most doctors will instruct patients to squirt solution in their palm and gently rub the contacts back and forth in the solution to remove debris and protein buildup prior to storing their lenses in the case.
2. It is important to clean the storage case between uses with fresh saline -never water- daily and refill with new saline rather than "topping off" old solution.
3. When not in use, store clean containers upside down with caps off to prevent bacteria from accumulating in the case. Failure to clean contact lenses properly increases the risk of bacteria buildup and severe eye infections.
Hydrogen Peroxide Solution: This is a deep cleaning mechanism of cleaning, storing, and disinfecting soft AND hard contact lenses. The solution is designed to interact with the special case to convert from hydrogen peroxide into harmless saline solution over a specific time frame (stated on the instructions sheet). Patients who suffer from allergies, eye irritation, or sensitivities to solutions benefit from the preservative free system.
1. Place contact lenses into the designated slot in the storage container.
2. Fill container with solution to the proper marked line and seal storage container.
3. Leave lenses in the storage case for 4-6 hours (as directed in the instructions on the solution box) so that the mechanism sufficiently turns the Hydrogen Peroxide into saline.
4. Hydrogen Peroxide will BURN your eyes if it comes in direct contact with your eyes! The RED cap serves as a reminder to use precaution and not to put directly in your eyes as this will cause burning, stinging and redness.
5. If lenses cannot be stored for the recommended amount of time, be sure to rinse lenses with saline prior to insertion!
Enzymatic Protein Removers:
Enzymatic protein removers clean off debris that your eyes deposit on the contact lenses over time. Your eye care provider may recommend you use a product for removing buildup for certain types of contact lenses. Enzymatic protein removers are available in liquid and tablet forms and are used on a daily or weekly basis depending on the product. Ask your eye care provider before using this product.
Hydrogen Peroxide systems clean, disinfect, and act as a great preservative
free alternative to standard solutions. This can be used daily or weekly to
remove built up debris and protein from hard or soft contact lenses.
Rigid Gas Permeable lenses require specific solutions
for cleaning, disinfecting, and rewetting the lens. If not
used properly, the lens material can wear and degrade
Saline: Saline is not a cleaning product, but rather a rinsing solution often designed to rinse lenses prior to insertion for those who may have sensitivities to certain solution's preservatives. This should be done AFTER cleaning and disinfecting contact lenses. Preservative Free saline is used for filling hard Scleral Lenses, a specialty lens that holds a reservoir of saline on the surface of the eye.
*Preservatives can cause to the ocular surface over time so it is important to talk with your eye care specialist about the best type of solution for your specific contact needs!
Rigid Gas Permeable (Hard Lens) Cleaning Solutions: Hard lenses require specific cleaning, disinfecting, and rewetting solutions that preserve the coatings and structure of the lens. Hydrogen Peroxide systems and preservative saline are often incorporated into the cleaning and storage regimen. Ask your specialty contact lens Optometrist about which cleaning systems are right for you!